*originally published in
RECOMMENDED NEW MYSTERIES:
1. THE LAST MILE (Book 2) David Baldacci
A fabulous follow-up to the first book – I enjoyed this book even more than the first one. Great characters, plot and twists and turns!
THE MEMORY MAN (Book 1) David Baldacci
If you are looking for a different kind of hero and a truly suspenseful story…I HIGHLY recommend this novel.
2. THE SHARK (Book 1) Mary Burton
A great romantic-suspense novel – heavier on the suspense but there is plenty of chemistry between between the hero and heroine. And, there is more to come in this series.
3. BLOOD DEFENSE (Book 1) Marcia Clark
I loved Clark’s Rachel Knight series and this new series has promise – this time Clark focuses on the defense side.
4. OBSESSION by Nora Roberts
This novel is a bit more romance than suspense, but I really enjoyed the beginning part of the novel which is heavy on suspense.
5. REDEMPTION by John Hart
It has been a few years since I have read a book by Hart. After reading his newest book I am eager to catch up the rest of the books I have not read. He’s great with characterization and keeping suspense high!
RECOMMENDED MYSTERIES FOR THE SUMMER (Series):
1. GREY MASK (Book 1) Patricia Wentworth
If you are looking for cozy mysteries like Agatha Christie give Wentworth’s series, Miss Silver a try. This series was written in 1920 to 1950s and are quick reads!
2.WHAT ANGELS FEAR (Book 1) C.S. Harris
I am only on book six but I love this historical mystery series already. It is set in the 19th century, England and is well-researched. I enjoy the interesting mysteries, the great unforgettable characters and the suspense.
3. BLINDSIGHTED (Book 1) Karin Slaughter
One of my favourite suspense authors and series. I will warn you that these are gritty mysteries. This is not for the faint of hearts. The characters are very realistic and flawed so get ready for an emotional ride.
4. DON’T TELL (Book 1) Karen Rose
Karen Rose, in my opinion, is the queen of romantic-suspense. She is able to balance the romance and suspense so well.
5. THE SWEETNESS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PIE (Book 1)
A very witty historical mystery series starring a young girl solving murders. I love the characters and Bradley is so brilliant with his words.
RECOMMENDED MYSTERIES FOR THE SUMMER (Standalone):
1. THAT NIGHT by Chevy Stevens
One of favourite Canadian suspense authors! I enjoy this novel and the first two books she wrote as they are heavy with the suspense.
2. DARK PASSAGE by David Goodis
This noir mystery was written in the 1950s (and was made into a movie with Lauren Bacall and Humphrey Bogart). I enjoyed the psychological story as much as the suspense.
3. THE THIN MAN by Dashiell Hammett
Another mystery from the golden age but this one is a bit lighter with the witty Nick and Nora Charles.
I could not choose between these two standalone novels. They are both high octane suspense. I dare you to not stay up to finish it!
5. WHISPERS AND LIES by Joy Fielding
This novel reminds me of a modern noir with plenty of psychological suspense.
MYSTERIES I CAN’T WAIT TO READ FOR THE SUMMER: (2016)*
1. COLLECTING THE DEAD by Spencer Kope (JUNE 28, 2016)
2. MISSING, PRESUMED by Susie Steiner (JUNE 28, 2016)
3. ALL THE MISSING GIRLS by Megan Miranda (JUNE 28, 2016)
4. AMONG THE WICKED (Book 8) by Linda Castillo (JULY 12, 2016)
5. FREE FALL (Book 4) Rick Mofina (July 26)